In south India we use toor and moong dal a lot. I think almost we use every day in our cooking specially for koottus, dal's and sambars.One more important ingredient in this kootu is bottle gourd. Bottle gourd is very good for health,it makes your body cool and reduces weight because it has lot of water content.I like to serve this with rice and pappad,also with chapathis.
- Bottle gourd - 1 medium size (chopped)
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1/2 medium size (chopped)
- Tomato - 1/2 (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Oil - 2 tbsp
For Grinding :
- Coconut - 1/4 cup (grated)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 3 to 4
- Peel and chop the bottle gourd into cubes.Wash the moon dal and toor dal together.
- Add onions, tomatoes, turmeric powder with the dal and cook it with some water.
- When the dal was half cooked add the bottle gourd pieces and let it cook till soft. Let this keep aside.
- Mean while grind the coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies to a smooth paste with little water.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds let it splutter then add urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves. Then add the cooked dal and bottle gourd mix, then add the grinded paste,required salt and make to boil for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- Suraikai koottu is now ready to serve !!! Serve hot with rice or chapathi .