- Chicken - 1/2 kg
- Basmathi Rice - 2 cups
- Big Onion - 2 (size - medium, chopped)
- Tomato - 2 (chopped)
- Coconut milk - 1 cup + 2 cups water
- Green cillies - 3
- Mint leaves - 1 handful
- Coriander leaves - 1 handful
- Cloves - 4
- Cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon - 2 pieces
- Bay leaf - 2 small pieces
- Fennel seeds(sombu) - 1 tsp
For Marination :
- Red chilli powder - 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Thick Curd - 1/4 cup
- Briyani masala - 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cut the chicken pieces to the required size. Wash it, drain the water completely and marinate with the items given in 'for marination'. Let it get marinated for 1 hr or overnight in fridge.
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 min and then drain the water completely. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and fry the rice till it does not stick to the pan in a medium flame and keep aside.
- Heat 2tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of ghee in another pan add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, fennel seeds. Now add the onions, little salt fry untill becomes golden brown. Then add ginger & garlic paste, mint leaves and tomatoes cook for few minutes.
- Then add the marinated chicken pieces mix well in a medium flame for 2 min. Now reduce the flame and cover it with a lid, let the chicken get cook for 5 min.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and 2 cups of water. Let the mixture come to boil. Now add rice and required salt. Mix everything well.
- In this stage reduce the flame, close the pan and cook for 7 min(cook till all the water gets absorbed). Check in between so that it doesn't get burnt.
- In another stove heat the dosa tawa in a medium flame. Open the lid after 7 min mix everything well. Now reduce the flame tobe very low.
- Now close the pan with the hot dosa tawa so that the top portion gets cooked by the heat of the tawa. Heat of the tawa will be there for 5 min. If you have another tawa, can be used side by side. (If you dont have another tawa dont worry, heat this tawa one more time and put it on the top).By the second time the briyani will be cooked.Garnish with coriander leaves.Now chicken briyani is ready to eat.
- Serve chicken briyan along with raita.
- You can also prepare chicken briyani without adding coconut milk. Instead of that add same amount of water.
- If you dont have the dosa tawa to put on the top, after the water gets absorbed (step 6), close the pan with lid and cook for 5 min more in low flame stirring in between, if not cook for some more time.
- Dont forget to add the mint leaves, it gives good taste & flavour to briyani.