- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Red Pumpkin (poosanikai) - 1/4 (finely chopped)
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (chopped)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind - small round size
- Asofoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 strands
- Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Jaggery - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - for taste
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
For Dry Roast :
- Red chillies - 6
- Channa dal (kadalai parupu) - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook the toordal and pumpkin along with 2 cups of water and turmeric powder for about 6-7 whistles (it should be finely smashed).
- Heat the pan add all ingredients given in 'for dry roast' section, fry without adding oil until turns brown color (until nice aroma comes out). After it cools grind it to fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil and 1 tsp of ghee in a pan add mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves. Now add onions fry until turns light brown and add little salt. Then add tomatoes and fry for some time.
- Now add tamarind juice, 1/4 cup water and asofoetida make to boil. In this time add few curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add dry roast powder (before adding make the powder to liquid by adding some water to avoid the formation of lumps). Then add the cooked dal (smash it nicely using whisk or any spatula) and water, make to boil for some time. Now add the required salt for sambar.
- Now add jaggery and mix well. At last add some curry leaves, coriander leaves and 1 tsp of ghee and switch off the flame.
- Hotel style sambar is now ready to serve hot. This sambar goes very well with Idly, Dosai, Pongal, Urad dal Vadai, Plain rice and other tiffin items.
- You can also add vegatables like carrot, beans, drumstick etc.. of your choice.You need to add the vegatables after adding the tamarind juice and cook until all the vegetables are fully cooked, then proceed with step 5.