Serves : 2
- Semiya/Vermicelli - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 3 cups or more depending on the consistency
- Sugar - 1/2 cup or more
- Cashews - 6 no
- Raisins - 6 no
- Cardamom Powder - a pinch
- Saffron - a pinch
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan fry cashews till light golden brown and keep aside. In the same pan fry the raisins for few seconds and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat 1 tsp of ghee fry the vermicelli till it turns golden brown and keep aside.
- In a separate pan boil the milk then add the roasted vermicelli and cook for 15 minutes in a medium flame stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the roasted cashews and raisins and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Once you turn off the flame the semiya payasam will get thicken after sometime. The payasam thickens even when refrigerated. So at the time of serving add some few tablespoons of warm milk and mix well and serve.
- Here i used the ordinary vermicelli so i roasted with the ghee(step 2). If you use the roasted vermicelli (available in indian stores) skip the step 2.